Monday, May 11, 2009

A Busy Weekend!

On Friday evening we travelled to Hobart so that we could catch up with family for Mother's day, as well as to go in the Mother's Day Classic which is either a 4km/8km run or a 4km walk.
On the Saturday we did a little bit of shopping during the morning then in the afternoon we prepared dinner as we usually do a meal for Ryan's mum for part of her mothers day present. This year we decided to cook our homemade burgers with the lot and we served it on a fresh roll with homemade sweet potato, potato and carrot chips. For desert we had a caramel desert served on a base similar to a cheesecake and had icecream and cream. It was really yummy and I think everyone enjoyed their meal, even though we were all stuffed by the end. William had a heap of fun playing with Grandad as they built towers from the stuff on the table and then had fun trying to blow it down.

On the Sunday (which was mothers day) we woke early as we were going to the mothers day clasic that was held up on the domain. They had three events all starting at differnt times, the 8km run started at 8:15 the 4km run started at 9 and the 4km walk started at 9:45. I was running in the 4km walk so Ryan and the family dropped me off and then they got themselves ready and walked slowly up to the domain to watch me run. Their was HEAPS of people in the race and it was a little hard to not kill yourself as you tried to take off as it was I had a kid run in front of me and he almost fell on his face lucky I was able to grab him before that happened. Once we were out on the go it got easier as people were able to fall into their own pace. I managed to complete the 4km in 18:58 which I was happy with although it was a little slower compared to my last two events. Once I had finished I found the family and then we got ourselves ready to go in the 4km walk. We registered under teh team 'Mother's Rights at work' which was a team that Roz, my sister, put together and as a result it was the biggest team at the event so they got a trophy for it. We also got to wear some rather snazzy tee shirts. Because ran teh 4km run Ryan and I hada deal that I would do the walk with the kids while he ran it and then he would come bac and find us to give me a hand. My Mum was going to walk with us but she did not feel to confident with her hip so she and Charlotte sat in the sun and watched the event. I was really glad when I saw Ryan coming down the hill towards us as William had decided that he didn't want to walk so I had to carry him the whole way around and as a result I think I carried him for just over 3km!!!!! He got rather heavy when I got to slight hilly bits on the track. When we got bac to the domain and we had the final leg on the actual race track he and Amelia decided that they would run. I must say I was really impressed with Amelia as she walked the whole way and didn't complain once! The last big walk she went on was the 3km in Beaconsfield and I heard from Ryan that she wanted to stop almost as soon as she started. Onc of the good things about teh Mother's Day Classic is that everyone gets a showback with some great things in it. This year we all got a Tupperware drink bottle, as well as medal, chocolate, water, iced tea, and some promotion bits and pieces from other business.
Before we left we were asked by the organisers if they could have a group picture of the runners involved in the Mum's rights at work groups, as they were the biggest group with 69 registered. We also had a photo taken that was in the Mercury today that was highlighting the goverments new plans to introduce paid maternity in the next two years.
Amelia looking lovely in her spunky tee shirt.
Ryan feeling good after finishing his race he finished the 4km in 22:20 which he was rather happy with.
William loved the balloon he got, so much so that he wore it nearly all afternoon!
After the run/walk we went to my sisters for lunch for Mother's day and Pa's birthday. We had a lovely roast dinner, thanks to her husband Chris, and the desert was a pav, thanks to Mum!
These crazy monkeys enjoyed their icecream desert!

After a lovely lunch Amelia and Henry had heaps of fun playing together although Amelia was getting to the stage where I think she wanted to be left alone, I don't blame her as Henry was using her a jumping castle at one stage!


We also had a birthday cake, as it was pa's birthday and Josh was a great help in the kitchen as he helped his Mum whip the cream and put the decorations and candles on it. He even helped bring it in as we all sang happy Birthday!

No comments: